Many economic experts, including the IMF, believe the New Zealand dollar is overvalued by at least 20 per cent.
It is damaging manufacturers and exporters, causing firms to shut down, and putting thousands of New Zealanders out of work.
Our Private Members Bill – the Reserve Bank of New Zealand (Amending Primary Function of Bank) Amendment Bill – would provide the bank with the flexibility it needs to properly manage our dollar and create a prosperous and stable economy.
- Our Private Members Bill was drawn from the ballot in 2012. It was defeated at the First Reading by one vote.
- We have resubmitted the Bill into the Member's ballot.
- If it is drawn and passes its First Reading, it will head to a Select Committee for the public to have its say.
- All our MPs are focused on generating political support for the Bill to pass
- We are lobbing key organisations and commentators for their support